Cardio-Pulmonary Rehabilitation is a supervised programme consisting of exercise training, education on healthy-heart living, and counseling to reduce stress with the aim of returning you to an active lifestyle as soon as possible. At Proheath Asia your therapy team works alongside you to develop strategies that fit your life and needs, the ultimate goal being to reduce the likelihood of future heart and lung problems, or related complications.
People who enrol in this programme improve their physical fitness in a safe manner, gain dietary advice, learn stress management skills, have more success in controlling cardiovascular and pulmonary risk factors such as high blood pressure, prevent future hospital stays, and may eventually reduce their medications.
Suitable conditions for this programme include:
- Angina or recent heart attack
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Valve surgery
- balloon angioplasty/coronary stenting
- Asthma and mild COPD
- Thoracic surgery
Cardio-Pulmonary Rehabilitation programmes generally span 3 months with sessions 2-3 times per week:
INITIAL SESSION INCLUDES:
A detailed history of your heart or lung condition, any surgical procedures, overall general health, medications, current level of fitness and personal goals. A physical assessment is performed to identify the type and intensity of exercise which is right for you while monitoring your blood pressure and oxygen levels.
SUBSEQUENT SESSIONS INCLUDE:
- Aerobic and muscle strengthening activities to increase heart rate and improve lung function together with general strength and endurance
- Nutrition counselling to encourage a healthy-heart diet
- Education about your condition, medical therapies and managing risk factors such as smoking
- Skills building and emotional support to help you cope with your condition or surgery
- Strategies to cope with stress and anxiety